By Kirsty Allen.
That dreaded holiday is approaching – the one feared by singletons and couples alike. It’s a day so enamored with itself, so tainted by commercialism that it causes controversy between even the strongest couples.
Personally, I’m not a fan of February 14th. The concept of showing someone you love him/her only one day of the year is foreign. Why not show your partner that you love him/her all year round?
What better way to do this than to treat your special loved one to a visit to one of these top romantic getaways?
- Paris. You all know my love for Paris – it’s there for all to see in my previous posts. Paris is one of those unforgettable places that keeps you coming back for more. I would recommend avoiding the tourist traps (the Eiffel Tower, the Arch, etc) and instead visiting the places that really make the city a romantic destination. With the intention of viewing the Eiffel Tower, I accidentally stumbled across a small garden, one of many that litter the incredible city.
At night, the city lights up, and it’s at this time that you could enjoy a wander with your significant other through the beautiful Tuilieres Garden, or enjoy an evening cruise along the River Seine. Book your trip now at France Tourisme!
- It’s always been on my bucket list, ever since my parents took my brother and I to Nottingham forest to stay in a remote cabin in the woods. Forest Holidays offers a variety of options to suit a budget varying from a two bedroom cabin in the Forest of Dean for three nights starting at £295 to a luxurious Golden Oak Cabin in Blackwood Forest with hot tub and log burning stove starting at £795.
What a romantic, remote way to spend a weekend.
- If someone were to ask you where you thought the top romantic holiday destinations were, I bet your first answer wasn’t Mexico. Why not? Hidden along the rocky Caribbean coastline is the Kore Tulum Retreat & Spa: a luxurious, romantic, over 18 only hotel.
- Aruba. A tiny Island off the coast of Venezuela, Aruba offers sun, alcohol and blond beaches just waiting to be stepped on. It’s a destination my parents will be visiting for their 25th wedding anniversary this year, as well.
For this English rose, it’s halfway across the world- if anything the lengthy plane journey itself puts a dampener on the idea. For those seasoned travelers who don’t mind the long haul, or for those of you living closer, it is definitely a must. Book your trip now at Thomson!
- A lot of my holiday destinations have offered quiet retreats away from reality. However, some of you may prefer to experience the culture of a city you’ve never explored- wandering crowded streets and sharing an adventure with your significant other. Istanbul may be that leap into excitement.
Fancy a romantic rooftop breakfast as the sun rises over the bay? Why not try Mangerie in Bebek? This casual restaurant offers a hidden gem and is definitely a must for pancake lovers.
So why wait until Valentine’s day to prove to your partner that you love him/her?
I hope this article has offered up a few ideas and stirred up that old romantic in you.